Sunday, November 5, 2017

Hollywood Auction Catalogs

 
This year I have discovered Auction Catalogs. Unfortunately - rather than being collected in one fabulous museum - costumes, jewelry, photos, and props from Classic Hollywood films are often owned by private collectors or consist of personal collections auctioned off by the actor or actress's family after their passing. Oftentimes the person who buys these items ends up selling them after a while and we end up with annual actions with catalogs featuring pages of fabulous items.

On Nov. 18, Julien's Auctions is having an auction consisting entirely of jewelry from the famous Joseff of Hollywood. The catalog, which you can view online, has over 400 pages of glittering jewels that once adorned the most beautiful of women and the most handsome of men. Here are a few of my favorite pages.














 
If you could own any of these pieces, or any of the other pieces in the catalog, which would you choose? Oh! To be fabulously wealthy at a time like this!
 
Update: Last night I started watching Rose-Marie (1936) and I noticed the bracelet Jeannette MacDonald wears on her left wrist appears to be the same one worn by Myrna Loy I shared above. As both films were made by MGM in 1936 and had their jewelry provided by Joseff of Hollywood I am almost certain it is the same piece.
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, some of those pieces are incredible! I'm definitely going to have to make some time to flip through that catalog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phyllis, I have never seen your blog before, and the reason I'm on it today is because it shows up as the traffic source for 160+ views on my blog (https://theviewfromfallingdowns.blogspot.ca/). Furthermore, they seem to come via Ukraine. Looks to me like maybe you've been hacked? Neumann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neumann, I've never heard of your blog either so it's definitely not me. I will look into it. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete